Section 41 of the Auditor-General Act 1997 establishes the position of the Independent Auditor. The Independent Auditor is appointed by the Governor-General on the recommendation of the Minister with the approval of the Joint Committee of Public Accounts and Audit. The Act requires the position of Independent Auditor to be filled at all times where practical, with a term of at least three but not more than five years.
The current Independent Auditor is Mr Geoff Wilson, National Managing Partner KPMG Audit and Risk Advisory Services. The Independent Auditor undertakes the annual audit of our financial statements and may also carry out a performance audit at any time.
Below are performance audits carried by the Independent Auditor since April 2000.
- Quality Control Around Financial Statements Audits (June 2013)
- IT Capability and Resourcing
- Planning and Scoping of Performance Audits by the ANAO (June 2011)
- Planning and Scoping of Performance Audits by the Australian National Audit Office (June 2011)
- ANAO IT Peformance Review (May 2010)
- ANAO Human Resource Management Performance Audit (December 2008)
- Report by the Independent Auditor of the Australian National Audit Office on the Results of a Performance Audit of "Value for Money" Provided by the ANAO (June 2004)
- Report on Results of a Performance Audit of Contract Management Arrangements within the ANAO (December 2002)
- Report on Results of a Performance Audit of the ANAO Audit Management Processes (October 2001)
- Report on Results of a Performance Audit of the Planning and Resource Allocation Processes (December 2000)
- Report on Results of a Performance Audit of the Strategic Planning Framework (April 2000)